+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Food Saver-- just some ??

Food Saver-- just some ??

Ok, I got lucky. Child support came through last night and I was able to finally afford a Food Saver (the link shows one that is similar to the one I got-- only mine is black). I'm excited to get it, since I've heard others that have one and use it quite a bit.

But a couple of questions that the booklet doesn't really cover. My main plan for using it is to make some "tv dinners" for me and the kids from the leftovers of other meals. How would I go about doing this? Got some paper plates and bowls to use in it. But would I need to freeze the soup/stew/chili in the bowl before vacuum sealing it? wouldn't that defeat the purpose of vacuum sealing?

And another question-- have you used it go through your cupboards and seal all the bag items that are up there? Do you use the special jars that a person can buy for this machine, or just the Mason Jars? Give me some ideas here so I use this to my advantage.

Yeah, I'm getting to it.. Zippity's Avatar

I haven't ever used the canisters and I don't bother sealing up other bags. The people I know that do live where they have issues with excessive moisture or insects, for the most part. We don't have those problems and we go through things like cereal fast enough not to need to.

My FIL uses the foodsaver for soups/chilis all the time. He lines his bowl with plastic wrap, and puts in his cooled soup. Then he freezes it, pops the hard little disc of soup out, and puts it through the foodsaver. When he takes it out of the freezer he doesn't have to defrost it because it fits right in his bowl--he pops it back into his bowl and microwaves it.

It doesn't defeat the purpose to do this--the "flash freezing" is actually really common with a lot of different soft foods. They just do better in the foodsaver that way.
    "I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do."

- Leonardo Da Vinci

"I am seeking, I am striving, I am in it with all my heart."

- Vincent Van Gogh

Here is a link to the canisters that you use with your Foodsaver. I've never heard of using a Mason type jar with these machines. You can buy them at discount stores like Target.

http://www.foodsaver.com/Category.aspx?id=c&cid=89

I'm thinking the force of the vacuum would buckle or crush a paper plate. If you would like to save chili or soup I'd suggest vacuum sealing the food alone and then serving it once it's thawed.

One other thing...

They aren't very cost effective for high turnover items (cereals) like Zip said. Stick to things that you want to save for a much later date.
    Last edited by Scarletwing; 01-08-2009 at 10:10 AM.
    Many people look forward to the new year for a new start on old habits. ~Author Unknown

My thought behind the what is in the cupboard is the items I only use once in a while, like brown sugar, instant potatoes, and some other things that aren't use daily or even weekly. This poor machine would have a heart attack if we did cereal.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarletwing View Post
    I've never heard of using a Mason type jar with these machines.
    I have - there is an attachment that you can buy to make the Foodsaver vacuum the air out of a Mason jar. The lid fits into the attachment, you attach the hose to the Foodsaver just like on the canisters, and you screw the ring onto the jar when you're done.

Yeah, I'm getting to it.. Zippity's Avatar

Yes, my uncle uses the mason jar attachment for a lot of the dry goods at the beach house--they get ruined by moisture if they aren't properly sealed. If that's an issue you have, the mason jar attachment works well.
    "I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do."

- Leonardo Da Vinci

"I am seeking, I am striving, I am in it with all my heart."

- Vincent Van Gogh

You have to pre-freeze or flash freeze items with liquid in them before you use the foodsaver otherwise it doesn't get a good seal due to the moisture content constantly being drawn out during the air-sucking phase ....

It doens't really defeat the purpose cause the quick initial freeze just freezes the food - once you seal it you stop ice-crystals forming on the food and "burning" it ... this is why it lasts longer than food just wrapped or bagged into the freezer...

Pre-made meals though will never last as long and with as much integrity as uncooked whole items (such as meats, fish & drier goods) as these items don't need to be pre-frozen before sealing but they will still last longer and are easy to prepare...

I'd suggest freezing the mushy/saucy/liquid things like casseroles/soups/stews etc in square takeaway containers - that way when you seal them they are uniform in shape and can be stored by stacking on top of each other (or on their sides) - makes it a lot easier to keep in the freezer...

Enjoy the foodsaver - I like my new one (I LOVED my old one) but I'm still getting used to my new one so I'm sure in time I will love it too ......
    I am evil ~~ I acknowledge and embrace that fact!!

+ Reply to Thread