Closed Thread

Thread: 2009 New Year's Resolutions

Yeah, I'm getting to it.. Zippity's Avatar

2009 New Year's Resolutions

I really like to make New Year's Resolutions. That quiet week we have here every year after the hustle and hurry of the holiday season gives me some time for reflection and makes me want to put things back on track.

Whether they're simple goals or more elaborate life changes--if you make a resolution for the year ahead, post it here!

Also, it's time to re-evaluate your 101/1001 lists! Is there anything on your list that is more of a priority for you? Less? Anything that no longer really fits who you are?

Post your reflections here, and then let's take it a step farther and check in with our goals throughout the year!
    "I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do."

- Leonardo Da Vinci

"I am seeking, I am striving, I am in it with all my heart."

- Vincent Van Gogh

Everything good is worth waiting for Kimberley's Avatar

I've been giving this some thought and although I'm not big on New Year's Resolutions, I think this year I'd like to try some New Month Resolutions. I'm still evaluating my priorities and deciding which goals I want to accomplish. My health, organizing the house from the move and relationships are the three that are crying for the most attention right now.
    Enough is as good as a feast.
    ~ Mary Poppins

I think I'll have another look at my 101 in 1001 list. There are a few things on there that need to be updated I'm sure. Other than that I don't think I'm going to do a New Year's Resolution, just a rededication to the list I've already made.
    Many people look forward to the new year for a new start on old habits. ~Author Unknown

Yeah, I'm getting to it.. Zippity's Avatar

My big resolution this year is to practice living deliberately.

I have to do some more specific goal setting regarding precisely what that means, and how I can set smaller, short term goals to help me reach it.

I tend to live a lot of my life on impulse--what do I want to eat, what do I feel like cleaning today and so forth. It's not working for me. I have been experiencing a serious lack of deliberation and self-discipline that is affecting almost every single area of my life. There's waaaaay too much whining "i don't wanna" and "do I hafta?" and "later, when I feel motivated." (And that's from me, not the kids!!)

Is it worthwhile to spend a day knitting in my jammies now and then? Absolutely! But as a rule I need to be a lot more deliberate about my time, what I'm committed to and what I'm not. I need to actually *make* the decisions about how I spend my time and often my money, rather than floating along and letting the decisions make themselves by default.

I'm working on a list of what living deliberately means to me. It is more than one habit, and I don't expect to have it right from day one.

The big pieces:
    --Have a morning and evening routine
    --Have personal time
    --Remember and celebrate (even in a small way) important occasions
    --Practice first things first (Health, Family and Education are not negotiable priorities)
    --Have a routine for housekeeping and administrative tasks
    --Keep a calendar and a CAN to keep to-do's scheduled and under control
    "I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do."

- Leonardo Da Vinci

"I am seeking, I am striving, I am in it with all my heart."

- Vincent Van Gogh

I like making New Year's Resolutions. I usually reflect on a bunch of things I want to do and then settle on a few. Even in the best year, I really only make progress in one area. This year I think I'll just pick one thing. I'm pretty sure it's going to home organizing related. This whole perpetual shuffling of stuff is really wearing on me so I might focus on finding a home for every single thing in this house. I also need to work on exercise, eating more veggies and practicing patience but I think less mess will add years to my life.

My resolution: Breakfast.

I'm going to concentrate on getting up on time, making myself a nice breakfast, and eating the nice breakfast. I tend to hit the ground running in the morning to take care of the pets and the house and play on the computer and rush off to start errands between nine and ten. I skip breakfast entirely, usually eat at eleven, twelve, or even one, unless I snag something from a drive-thru as a bribe or treat for going out.
    This morning I bought a bunch of healthy breakfast foods. I'm starting tomorrow, to give myself two day's practice before it gets official, lol!
    :laugh:
    Save

Closed Thread