[size=14pt]Return to Paris, A Memoir with Recipes by Colette Rossant[/size]

ISBN - 0-7475-6852-9

From the back of the book
"It is 1947 and Paris is recovering from the war. As soon as they arrive, Colette's mother abandons her (yet again), leaving her with her bossy grandmother and her older brother who has turned into a stranger. Lonely, frightened and terribly homesick, Colette finds solace in the kitchen with the cook Georgette, and discovers a love for French food - the Sunday lunches of roasted lamb stuffed with garlic, springtime strawberries bathed in creme fraiche, the first taste of truffle in a restaurant on the Left Bank. And it is through food that Colette finds happiness in Paris, skipping school to go to the farmers' market and dining in restaurants with her new stepfather, a hotelier who shares her love of eating. Then, at sixteen, she meets a dashing young American - and, despite all opposition from ther family, never looks back"

My Review
This is the second book by Colette Rossant in this series, the first tracks Colettes life before Paris and is called Apricots on the Nile (I'll post that review after this one)

I thoroughly enjoyed the first book (Apricots on the Nile) and really liked this one as well. Roussant writes lusciously about food and makes you feel like you are there with her taking that first whiff of truffle or that first bite of the spring strawberry.... the attention to detail that isn't food related is excellent as well, her descriptions of other people she interacts with makes the characters feel real and whole, her views on Paris and the big cultural shift she underwent (Apricots on the Nile is set in Egypt where she spent her earlier childhood) in moving there is also very impressive...

But the most important thing in my view is the recipes... if I'm going to read a food book I want the recipes that go with these beautiful dishes she is talking about, I want to know I can cook that amazing sounding Roast Leg of Lamb she speaks about eating for Sunday Lunch that is mentioned on the back cover and know it is going to taste as good as she says it does, or maybe try the Crepes stuffed with Fraises Des Bois (small wild strawberries) which she tastes for the first time when dining out with her new stepfather... and they are all in here, in fact for a book that is around 250 pages, there would be a recipe snuck in almost every 3-4 pages of text... now thats a good ratio in my opinion and many are short easy recipes that won't take much time or ingredients needed to make.

Now there are a few pictures but they are family photographs used to highlight each chapter, there are no food pictures but this book is about a journey by a lover of food, not a cookbook in itself....

I really enjoyed it and its such a good sized book to knock over in a weekend if you were so inclined... maybe with a bowl of fresh strawberries (which are in season for us down here right now!)