+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Freezing summers bounty

Default Freezing summers bounty

We have both our own veggie garden (at a community garden plot) and CSA farm boxes which we purchase from a local grower. So there is a LOT of delish summer bounty at our house. What we endeavor to do is to eat well weekly but also to put by a substantial portion so that we are continuing to eat as locally as possible during the winter months. Since we live in MA if we didn't do this, we would have to buy all our veggies from who knows where. This has always bothered me from an environmental standpoint and increasingly I worry about food qualities when they are shipped from longer distances.

So. . . Sunday we made enough veggie marinara sauce to freeze in portions for 10 meals for our family of 6. i made zuchinni bars with cream cheese frosting for dessert that night. Made a ministrone in the crock pots that turned into dinner last night and 3 meals frozen. Made 2 zuchinni breads, one to freeze, one for breakfasts this week and roasted up some veggies to have on a chilled pilaf later this wk. Still to do is fennel mashed potatos for the freezer.

Lee

Default Re: Freezing summers bounty

Hey Lee - have you tried the Zucchini chocolate cake? - it makes great muffins or bar cake, freezes really well and is absolutely delish - my mum used to make it all the time - the zucchini keeps the cake so very very moist

I've also made veggie cakes for breakfast - either corn or zucchini - its just a basic savoury batter with whole kernels of corn or grated zucchini and pan fried - just like you do with pancakes ... they freeze well and we serve with bacon, eggs and/or smoked salmon - but they'd do equally well with roasted tomatoes, mushrooms and other breakfast veggies.....

I love the peak of summer cook time - I make a years supply of pasta sauce from 2 boxes of tomatoes ..... and I know where the ingredients came from and what is in the bottles .....

Sounds like you're having fun! - wish it was summer down here! brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    I am evil ~~ I acknowledge and embrace that fact!!

Funny that you mention the chocolate cake! That is on my list of things to bake up this week. I am glad you endorse it as I am allergic to chocolate so all things chocolate I make without taste testing! (I just go by how much the boys wolf it down! LOL)

We are going to try the zuchinni fritters as well. Glad to know they go well with roasted veggies or eggs as the recipe suggested meats. Of course being vegetarian that was a bit off putting! But they really did look yummy!

Sounds like you ladies have experience with this! My husband is the gardner, I just try and use what he grows. I sometimes wonder what he is thinking, maybe it is just a challenge for him. He tends to plant things that he doesn't eat, or will only eat small amounts. Example: Last summer he planted about 8 tomato plants. Now I love tomatoes and homemade salsa, but beyond that I have no tomato experience. He doesn't really eat tomatoes and my daughter will only eat tomato sauce, i.e. totally mashed strained and verging on tomato juice
    This year we have green beans, cucumbers (slowly they are getting there), we had lettuce, but it is about done, tomatoes, a variety of peppers and onions (not sure what kind). It never fails that I have tomatoes to give away or go bad. What do you suggest as something easy for a beginner? Making tomato sauce? Recipes please!!!

Yeah, I'm getting to it.. Zippity's Avatar

If I had that many tomatoes, personally--I'd make salsa. Not only do we eat plenty of it, it makes a nice gift too.

My grandma's salsa recipe (although there are tons of them out there, so use one you'd like)

5 lbs. ripe tomatoes
    1 C. seeded and chopped Anaheim peppers
    3-1/2 tsp salt
    3-4 T. sugar
    1 chopped bell pepper
    3 C. chopped onion
    1 C. cider vinegar
    1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
    5 cloves chopped garlic
    1 tsp marjoram
    About 5 jalapenos, chopped (leave about half the seeds)

Dip tomatoes in boinling water 30-60 seconds until skins loosen, then dip in cold water and slip off skins. Core and chop. In a 6-8 quart saucepan, combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes, or until it reaches desired thickness. Meanwhile, wash 7 pint jars and keep them hot until you need them. Prepare lids as directed on packaging. Ladle hot salsa into hot jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Wipe jar rim clean. Attach lid and process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes. Makes about 7 pints.
    "I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do."

- Leonardo Da Vinci

"I am seeking, I am striving, I am in it with all my heart."

- Vincent Van Gogh

Thanks! :bouquet: The only salsa recipe I have, that I really like, is for fresh salsa. I've never tried making "canned/jarred" salsa before. I will have to see how the tomato crop goes this year. I would certainly love to have some salsa stashed away for the middle of winter!

+ Reply to Thread