+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Save my cat!

Default Save my cat!

Hey ladies,

So I have perused the board reading your pet stories and thought I might ask your opinions. As I mentioned briefly in my intro (I think), I have three lovely cats. We have had Allie going on six years, found her in my neighbors bushes at 4 weeks old, no mom around. (Possibly because her mother KNEW she would be EVIL :www_MyEmoticons_com__kitty She was a sweet kitten, but grew up to be rather testy around anyone or anything, other than my DH, go figure! Some would suggest we get rid of her, but she is ours, evil and all, and will remain until the end. Alas, she is not my "problem".

Along come another stray, a beautiful long-haired (remember that later) tortise shelled female. We feed her, she loves us, we get her checked by the vet, healthy...pregnant kitty! Eeeks, we had agreed to take her in, but now we find out we are taking in kittens too! DH isn't going to like this one little bit!

Kittens came, five total, Evil Allie and mommy kitty, Lilly, don't get along AT ALL, so after kitties are weined, Lilly is spayed, shots are given, we find her a good home. I have a friend that helps with a cat rescue and she agrees to take the three kittens left (Aragorn, Frodo & Sam) to adopt out. Where are the other two kitties you ask? Since we had to give up Lilly, our original new pet, we got to keep Legolas (twin of his mommy but with short hair). He is a very smart, resourceful and loving kitty :kitty2:. I love them all, but he is my snuggler!

Oh wait, we are still short a kitty! In comes Arwen, my little princess! She was the only female in the litter and looks nothing like her siblings. They were all short-haired black or tortise colored. She is long-haired (told to you remember Lilley :2up, white and gray. She was supposed to go live with a friend, but they had problems with one of their kids mistreating her, so we got her back. Honestly, she is a good cat, beautiful long hair (lots of knots) but.... here we go! In addition to developing some kidney issues, which she is on special prescription food (only costs one arm, spared a leg!) and being a feline hoover (I knew dogs liked cat food, but have never seen a cat like dog food!), she also has no fear of water! Alright without dragging this out forever, here is my problem :www_MyEmoticons_com__blush:

In the wee morning hours, before the birds begin to sing, Arwen will come into my bedroom and find something to claw, scratch, pull, knock over or just rattle, to get me out of bed so I will feed her! I have tried ignoring her (do you know how loud it is when a cat plucks at the bottom of the closet door...endlessly?) I have tried throwing things at her, (sorry DH, didn't mean to scare the bejesus out of you :lol I have even tried, and continue to use a squirt bottle! This cat will look at you like, "Oh thanks, I needed to clean up a bit", run away, only to return moments later for another round. I have taken to giving my cats, all three, a "snack" before I go to bed. In actuality, it is their dinner and they get a snack at dinner time. I thought maybe a bigger meal later at night would hold them off longer. No such luck! The other two cats will slink around to see if Arwen has made any progress getting me up, but THEY fear water, so will avoid entering my room at all costs. Closing my door isn't an option, I have an almost 13 year old dog, my first baby, that is always on the wrong side of any door and would certainly rip it down if we closed it.

So, aside from releasing her to the wild or euthansia...NOT, any ideas?

Default Re: Save my cat!

You have to love cats, don't you? Our Comet, if we don't get up in time to feed her, wakes us up by licking and then nipping. We have varying degrees of success in quelling the biting. Your problem should be a little easier ... maybe.

Things you can try:

Aluminum foil or double-sided tape on the things she likes to pick at
    Automatic feeder
    Feliway diffuser in your room

Good luck!

I would try the automatic feeder, but that won't work if she want's your attention as well.
    The only other suggestion I have would be to put her in a crate overnight and that could create yowling.
    Love my kitties, but they must live outside due to my allergies.

I like the automatic feeder idea too, but agree that it may not work if attention is the issue.
    Hope you work this one out so you can keep your kitty.
    Gotta luv 'em, even if they are misanthropic grouchpusses who don't believe in laps and are up at sparrowfart yowling to go outside. We are almost always up at dawn but won't let her out until the raccoons have gone to bed.
    Telemarketing and tailgating should be made capital offences. [/snarly rant]

I appreciate your input ladies! I honestly don't thing there is an answer. The feeder idea would work if she were an only cat :kitty2:. As it is, she is the biggest, meaning eats too much as it were, of my three cats AND she is on prescription food for kidney issues. So, although the other two love to eat her more expensive food, she would probably eat herself into oblivion and beyond! Since the cats do not go outside, ever, I can't kick her out either. Some mornings are better and some are horrible. The other day she woke me up at 4:45 a.m! I swear, I thought I was going to have to kill her! I squirted her with my bedside squirt bottle, (isn't it normal to have a squirt bottle on your nightstand? :lol. She proceeded to dash down the hall like a herd of elephants. She quietly came back down to my doorway and as I raised the bottle to squirt, she did a "duck n' weave" manuever around to my husband's side of the bed. I finally layed back down and fell back to sleep. I don't think SHE woke me up again that day. Her brother decided it was his turn to try and get me up! He is afraid of water, but is also more assertive. None of this scratching and rattling for him, he just climbs up and either nudges you awake (big nudges for a cat!), or he licks you awake :www_MyEmoticons_com__kitty:.

Ahhhh yes, ya gotta lov'em, or surely you'd kill them :luv:.

What have I forgotten? kermitfan's Avatar

Ummm, close the door to your room and put an old towel at the bottom of the door? Maybe your early a.m. darlings could fray the towel instead of pouncing all over you ...

K

Hmm, now that is an idea!!!!

It may not be an option, but if there is a spare room that you can put her in at night it might help. We have a cat who came to us as a wild semi feral kitten. Nuts that we are we got a new puppy virtually at the same time! Maui the cat is very nocturnal and noisy. He liked to walk across my face while I was sleeping. Since we cosleep with kiddos this was even less cute than it might be if I was just into getting my face tattooed by my cat! LOL Also our allergies mean that it is best that he not get in the habit of frequenting the bedrooms. I took the spare room and made it his room for the first 4 or 5 months of his life. He was out in the day time but at nite I would feed him right before bed and put him in there. It was dark and stayed darker longer as the rooms window oriented in such a way that sun arrived there later. I would let him out in the a.m. when i got the kids up and he would stalk out in high dudgeon but never really totally angry with us. After he got neutered and started to settle down a bit I began to leave him out at night and it has worked out okay. Also as he got older some of the voracious eating has disappeared. Maybe she will just outgrow this?

Lee

+ Reply to Thread