+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Painting Question

Default Painting Question

I am painting the girls room. Justice as kind enough to draw humpty dumpty on the wall in marker. I have primered over it multiple times and it keeps coming through. Any ideas on what to do next?

Yeah, I'm getting to it.. Zippity's Avatar

Default Re: Painting Question

What kind of primer are you using? Not just any primer will work--you need something specifically meant to block out stains.

KILZ is good, BIN by Zinsser (sp?) is another good one.
    "I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do."

- Leonardo Da Vinci

"I am seeking, I am striving, I am in it with all my heart."

- Vincent Van Gogh

I just tried Kills, it's not working. I am thinking I am going to have to go with a darker shade of paint which sucks because I already bought the paint, or I am going to have to find one of those peel on/off wall murals to put over it. Do you think sanding it would help it come off?

Gotta love the child, she was bored and drew humpty dumpty on her bedroom wall, after all humpty dumpty sat on a wall.

You'll need the oil-based BIN then, probably. (KILZ has an oil-based version too, I think...) I try not to use the oil-based anything unless I have to, but it will work better than the latex primer. I think they even come in a spray-paint form that dries in just a few hours.

You could probably sand it off and then re-texture the wall as well--it's just a little more work on your part, and I find it harder to match the existing texture than you might think.

"I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do."

- Leonardo Da Vinci

- Vincent Van Gogh

[quote author=Zippity link=topic=975.msg15681#msg15681 date=1214629834]
    You'll need the oil-based BIN then, probably. (KILZ has an oil-based version too, I think...) I try not to use the oil-based anything unless I have to, but it will work better than the latex primer. I think they even come in a spray-paint form that dries in just a few hours.

You could probably sand it off and then re-texture the wall as well--it's just a little more work on your part, and I find it harder to match the existing texture than you might think.

[/quote]

If it's not textured wall would I have to do anything but sand it off?

Ok, I think I found the problem. The marker is actually soaked into the drywall. So now what?

Oh dear... Well, in that case you have two options that I can think of: try again to cover it, or replace the piece of drywall. (It's not that difficult to do.)

I don't know how big Humpty Dumpty is, but you can use a small drywall saw to cut out the offending drywall. They make patching kits for smaller areas, or you can replace a larger piece of drywall.

- Leonardo Da Vinci

- Vincent Van Gogh

+ Reply to Thread