+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Great Car Hunt

Yeah, I'm getting to it.. Zippity's Avatar

Default Re: The Great Car Hunt

:high5: Awesome!

DF drives a Tahoe that he likes (they live in a snow zone, on a mountain.) That's a very nice car with a lot of cargo and people hauling capacity--more car than I need as a second vehicle, for sure, but they haul all kinds of things in it and pull a trailer now and again as well. He used to have an Explorer, but found it a little on the tight and uncomfortable side when hauling people and too rough a ride up the two miles of gravel road to their house.

We drove an Explorer for a week in Hawaii last year and DH didn't like the way it handled at all. (Think it may have had an alignment issue--handling was horrible.) Now he won't even test drive one.

We also drove a Chevy Impala for two weeks--not DH's fave, and I think we've ruled out the sedan for now. We are used to sitting up higher and we like it. My knees also like it.

We're discussing whether or not to test drive the Highlander Hybrid. It's bigger than we'd originally wanted, but it gets great gas mileage--as good as or better than a lot of smaller cars.

"I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do."

- Leonardo Da Vinci

"I am seeking, I am striving, I am in it with all my heart."

- Vincent Van Gogh

I've found 4 wheel love! :www_MyEmoticons_com__makeup: It's the 2008 Chevy Silverado!! :www_MyEmoticons_com__blush:

I test drove the Chevy Silverado and the Equinox.

Equinox - The uprights (metal bit that goes from the dash to the roof of a car/truck) on it were very thick and obstructed my forward view. I felt like I was driving a box with windows. Visually weird.

Silverado - Like BUDDAH! OMG! Such a smooth ride. Handles great. Has that 'big truck' feel that I'm in love with, but better fuel efficiency than what I currently have. 14/19 compared to 8/13 I'll take it!

I test drove the Z-71 model. I don't need the off road package, since we won't be taking it offroading much. I do like the 4x4 for my extended winters here and the lack of plowing between here and Toronto.

It's such a purdy black with HUGE tires. Chrome. Purr with me now. :www_MyEmoticons_com__kitty:

All I need to do now is sell my white F-250 and it's miiiiiine!!!
    Many people look forward to the new year for a new start on old habits. ~Author Unknown

:high5: Awesome, Kris!

Today's Test Drive: Chrysler Sebring. I'm going to borrow Kris' analogy here--it feels like I'm driving a box with windows. The ride, acceleration, and handling are precisely what you'd expect from a smaller sedan. Nothing remarkably good or bad to report there. Driving position is reasonably comfortable. Apparently, I am (at 5'11??) too tall to have prime visibility out of this car. The top edge of the windshield and side windows is low, and the back window is narrow. Big rear uprights further restict visibility. My left knee tells me exactly what it thinks of this sedan business every time I try to get in or out of it.
    "I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do."

- Leonardo Da Vinci

- Vincent Van Gogh

Sign went in the window of the F-250 today!!
    FOR SALE
    F-250 Super Duty
    120,000 Miles (Mostly Hwy)
    Power Windows
    Power Locks
    Power Drivers Seat
    CD Player
    A/C
    $9,500
    (Priced below the general asking price of $10,000 - $12,000 for other comparable trucks that are cleaner than mine) We would like to get at least $8,000 for the truck. With our pricing, we have some wiggle room for negotiations.
    Many people look forward to the new year for a new start on old habits. ~Author Unknown

Good luck, Kris!

It is fun reading about your car quest! FWIW we had a Sportage about 4 yrs ago and it was not a reliable car. The 4WD kept not working properly which sort of defeated the purpose for us of having the car. We wanted reliability in snow. However my wife still reminisces about the KIA. She adored the ride and thankfully for me, our family would no longer fit in one! LOL

Lee

In no particular order, the cars we've narrowed down to, their pros and cons:

All of these cars are in roughly the same price range. However, what we're running into is that dealers in this area are pricing these used cars right around or at the original invoice price. ??? Um, I don't think so. I don't know if demand in this area drives up the price that high or what, but we may need to leave the area to get the price we know we ought to be able to get. The local Lexus place is *very* high volume, and one of 5 "superstores" in the country (Yes, welcome to Bellevue...) so the inventory's great, but they'd have needed to knock 6-8,000 off their price to be in the right neighborhood. I suppose that's the game you play when you buy used.

2004 Lexus RX 330:
    Pros: Awesome ride, handling, comfort, view is good. Very quiet. Made by Toyota, they share that super-reliable feature. This is a really nice car to drive.
    Cons: It's a 2004. Even with super low mileage it's a 4 year old car. Newer models are more expensive *and* take premium gas--this was the last year they took regular gas.

2007 Acura RDX:
    Pros: Again, really excellent handling and comfort. Fun to drive. Quiet, but not as quiet as the Lexus--the turbo whines when you accelerate. Also super-reliable, as they're made by Honda. A newer car, comes with some fun bells and whistles that aren't really necessary, but are pretty cool.
    Cons: At the very top of our price range, and takes premium gas. (Though that's a 25 cent difference between really expensive and what it will cost next week, anyhow.) Gets decent, but not great gas mileage.

2006-2007 Honda CR-V
    Pros: Good handling, comfort, visibility and size. Super-reliable. Pretty good mileage, takes regular gas.
    Cons: Loud, and relatively expensive. Very nearly as much money as the Acura and the Lexus, but that's not saying we couldn't find a better deal.

2005-2008 Nissan Murano
    Pros: Good handling, comfort, visibility and size. Very reliable, though not quite in the Honda/Toyota league there. Regular gas and decent mileage. They don't "hold their value" like the other three, making this a possibly less expensive choice.
    Cons: I'm not sure I love the feel of the CRT transmission and acceleration. We may need to drive this again, as we drove an 09 and they've changed some things that we didn't like.

- Leonardo Da Vinci

- Vincent Van Gogh

Oooh, I forgot about this little tid-bit...

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/ is a nifty site that compares the fuel economy of cars. I was able to see the difference between the F-150 and the Silverado. Plus it gives you the E85 option too.

Alrighty. I do believe that even the king of research himself, DH, is ready to get down to the details and shop.

Because we don't drive a great deal, the operating cost for premium versus regular gasoline is only about $20 per month at most, assuming that this car takes on most of the city mileage I've been piling on my van.

We're looking for a 2004 Lexus RX330, OR a 2007 Acura RDX. Mileage at 30,000 or less.

I hate the shark-infested waters of car shopping...but I hear that Costco has a good used car program now, so I'm going to check that out.

- Leonardo Da Vinci

- Vincent Van Gogh

I do believe we've found a car.

Acura 2007 RDX with Tech, 20,400 miles. Black outside, Taupe inside (same color as my van...) and in pristine condition. Owned by a single guy who is buying himself a new "toy" and took very good care of this one while he had it. Unlike every other car in town, he was willing to take high blue book value, rather than the inflated price everyone else tries for.

The money is in process, and we'll take it to the dealer on Friday to get the mechanical pieces looked over. If it all looks good, the money will change hands and we'll have a nice new-to-us car.

- Leonardo Da Vinci

- Vincent Van Gogh

Hope all goes well, Zippity!
    EmilyD

Word for 2018: Consistency

The guy that sold it to us was a really nice guy, and all went very smoothly. It cost me $135 at the mechanic to make sure that the mechanics of the car had been as well cared for as the outside. (They had.)

Lots of fun bells and whistles on this that we didn't necessarily need, but we sure do like. :grins:

- Leonardo Da Vinci

- Vincent Van Gogh

Everything good is worth waiting for Kimberley's Avatar

Congratulations Zippity!

Congratulations!

congratulations

Last Monday I sold my truck!! I've been listing my F-250 every few days on Craig's List. What the heck, it's free!! I got a few e-mails and a few phone calls about it, but only 1 guy made the effort to come see it.

I decided to bring the title of the truck with me to see him. What the heck, right? When I looked at the title I noticed the lein stamp was still on it from the bank.... EEK!! I took a detour to the bank and had them sign off on the title, THEN I went to meet the guy.

Good thing I did too. He gave me a full price offer right on the spot! He had to give me a ride home!!

I've spent the last week looking at trucks. The 2008 Chevy Silverado's I was soooo in love with are all but sold out. At least the ones with the options we want on them are. The dealer did a search within a 800 mile radius, nada. Onward 2009's!

I decided to give the Ford F-150 a second look and I'm glad I did! They totally remodeled the interior, exterior and everything in between. It's a totally different truck from the 2008 I drove just a few short months ago.

I just gave the sales guy the green light for a brand spankin new Ford F-150 today. Gonna be a red one this time.

Congrats, SW!!

Exclamation

:fireworks:

Here are the pics of my new truck!!!

:fireworks:
    Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread