+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mr. Rskmom Update

Default Mr. Rskmom Update

Since I consider you all friends, I wanted to share a little update from my world. Dh (Mr. Rskmom, lol) was diagnosed with bladder cancer in October. It was found early and is non-invasive, meaning it hasn't left the bladder. His prognosis is good. He is a bit on the young side for this diagnosis (53) and a non-smoker so it wasn't really on our radar.

He had surgery (TURBT) in October to scope the bladder and remove three tumors that were present.

He began receiving immunotherapy three weeks ago. Immunotherapy does not travel through the whole body like chemo does, and there are less side effects. This immunotherapy involves application of weakened TB vaccine directly into the bladder and is a common treatment method. This will continue once a week for six weeks and then he will have a cystoscopy (scoped again) and a CT or PET scan. Total completion time for these steps is about 3 months. After the scan we will be headed to Sloan Kettering for a second opinion and case review.

He had his third treatment (of the first six) today. The first one was uneventful, other than expected fatigue. After last week's treatment he had one day of side effects (fever, feeling like you are coming down with the flu, etc). We will see what this week holds.

His next course of action will then be determined by the results of the scope and scan. The Dr. has indicated that he may continue this treatment (on a less frequent schedule) for up to 22 months, as this kind of cancer has a 40% recurrence rate. He can continue to work and do what he feels up to.

Now that the initial shock of the C word has worn off, I can talk about it without bursting into tears. The boys (20, 17 and 17 yo) were shocked, but are dealing with things pretty well. We are hopeful and just trying to get on with our lives.

Thanks,
    ~rskmom~

Everything good is worth waiting for Kimberley's Avatar

All my love and prayers to all of you!
    Enough is as good as a feast.
    ~ Mary Poppins

Sending all of our love and support.

"Love cannot be killed or swept aside ... Now fill the world with music , love , and PRIDE. " - Lin-Manuel Miranda

Salam. Shalom. Aloha. Paz. Aman. Heiwa. Sula. Friede. Amniat. Peace.

Yeah, I'm getting to it.. Zippity's Avatar

I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers for the very best of outcomes and healing.

Hugs!
    "I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do."

- Leonardo Da Vinci

"I am seeking, I am striving, I am in it with all my heart."

- Vincent Van Gogh

from this side of the world too. Sorry to hear your
    family is going through this. You are in our prayers.

Rskmom!
    Save

My thanks to all! We appreciate it.

My thoughts and prayers for you and your family.

EmilyD

Word for 2018: Consistency

And here is today's update:

Jeff completed 6 rounds of BCG treatment in early December for bladder cancer. He had a month off, and then had a bladder cystoscopy (bladder scope) this past Monday. The results show healing in the areas where the three previous tumors were removed, and some continued irritation of the bladder from the BCG (normal). There were a couple of spots that the doctor was unsure of, as he can't tell if there is just irritation and healing or tumor regrowth. He presented some options, and Jeff has chosen to have another round of BCG. This will be just three weekly treatments instead of six. Then he will wait a month and have another scope to see how the bladder looks then. The nurse that handles BCG is on vacation so we aren't sure exactly when the next series will begin, but it should be in the next few weeks.

Jeff has continuous low level pain on his left side. This could be due to irritation of the kidney from the BCG or some other reason. He will have an ultrasound next week to check things out.

And thus the journey continues.

All our good thoughts and love are with you.

"Love cannot be killed or swept aside ... Now fill the world with music , love , and PRIDE. " - Lin-Manuel Miranda

Salam. Shalom. Aloha. Paz. Aman. Heiwa. Sula. Friede. Amniat. Peace.

Everything good is worth waiting for Kimberley's Avatar

All of our love to all of you!
    Enough is as good as a feast.
    ~ Mary Poppins

+ Reply to Thread