+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rebagging it!

Default Rebagging it!

I have been seeing allot of different crafts that are made by recycling everyday things. I saw some bags made from plastic grocery bags and thought it was a clever way to recycle them into something quite usefull. This is what I made, it took about 40 standard size plastic grocery bags and slightly larger target bags. I now have a reusable grocery bag, the hardest part was cutting all the bags into strips to knit!

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.
    Ellen Goodman - American journalist

Default Re: Rebagging it!

Wow, how creative is that! That is just amazing! You can't tell at all looking at them that they are from the plastic bags!

Everything good is worth waiting for Kimberley's Avatar

It looks great Gini! :high5:
    Enough is as good as a feast.
    ~ Mary Poppins

Cooooooool!! :high5:
    "Love cannot be killed or swept aside ... Now fill the world with music , love , and PRIDE. " - Lin-Manuel Miranda

Salam. Shalom. Aloha. Paz. Aman. Heiwa. Sula. Friede. Amniat. Peace.

Yeah, I'm getting to it.. Zippity's Avatar

:high5:

That's awesome! Love it!
    "I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do."

- Leonardo Da Vinci

"I am seeking, I am striving, I am in it with all my heart."

- Vincent Van Gogh

WoW! That turned out great - you even made stripes!
    :high5:
    Save

Those are REALLY great! I wish I had 1/10th of the talent to create things like you gals do!
    Many people look forward to the new year for a new start on old habits. ~Author Unknown

wow I'm really impressed - they look like they take 2 skills I definately don't posses - the ability to knit and patience

not one skeric of either in this body!

Well done Gini - I love them!
    I am evil ~~ I acknowledge and embrace that fact!!

Talk about recycling! Gini, I just don't know where you find the time with your busy life, those are great.

<insert pout>

I want one!!!

Gini, that is really cool! I have contemplated making one of these, but haven't gotten around to it. What size needles did you use? Also how wide did you cut the strips? I have seen different ideas for cutting the strips and wondered what worked best for you.
    Angel

I used 3" wide strips, more or less, and knit it on size US11 circular needs. I cast on 12 stitches and knit about 12 inches in garter stitch for the botton and then went around and picked up stitches and knit the body of the bag in the round and made some button hole handles on each side in the approximate middle. The plastic strips are a little hard on the hands sonce they don't give and they do stick to the needle. I used some left over Target Christmas bags for the red stripes and the rest is just grocery bags. I will look for the link to how to cut the grocery bags in strips.

My boys love it and have been telling everyone who will listen about the bag. I have plans for at least one more, I will do it a little different and see how it turns out. I am wondering if I can manage double pointed needles with the plastic strips for knitting a round bottom???
    Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

This is the link to directions for making the strips of "plarn".

:bouquet:

Thanks Gini! That technique for cutting the bags is really neat. I like the term "plarn" The dpn's might be interesting with the "plarn". I only have wood or bamboo dpn's , might be worth a try.
    Angel

+ Reply to Thread