+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Promises We Make to Ourselves

Yeah, I'm getting to it.. Zippity's Avatar

Default The Promises We Make to Ourselves

http://www.everydaysuperwoman.com/blog/?p=15

What New Year's Resolutions have you made? How do you feel about resolutions? Are there any that you won't make again?
    "I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do."

- Leonardo Da Vinci

"I am seeking, I am striving, I am in it with all my heart."

- Vincent Van Gogh

Default Re: The Promises We Make to Ourselves

I generally resolve not to make resolutions. However, this year's resolution is simple - develop and maintain my exercise program. Because of my hip, I am having to relearn good walking technique, and this means practice. I'm hoping that, by the end of 2008, I will be virtually pain-free.

Losing 90 pounds wouldn't hurt me, either. :lolpoint:

[quote author=emeraldmaiden link=topic=400.msg5215#msg5215 date=1198783479]
    I generally resolve not to make resolutions. [/quote]

That about sums it up for me too. I've got enough things going on in my life that I don't need to add yet another self inflicted worry to it all. I would like to spend more time with family and friends and keep working toward getting out of debt. Other than that I'm not resolving to do anything! :lolup:

Many people look forward to the new year for a new start on old habits. ~Author Unknown

I don't like llamas much either. They spit, don't they?

I love the new year - that feeling you mentioned of the clean slate, the new calendar page, etc. That said, I don't make resolutions. I try to live my life such that I'm always trying to tweak it in some small way - some small way that brings me closer to being really happy with where I am in life.

Well, I don't usually make resolutions but last year I resolved to keep my kids scrapbooks up to date so I wasn't doing this 11th hour thing getting it all done at years end. That was okay with 1 maybe 2 books, with 4 kids that is whacko! LOL I actually KEPT said resolution till July when we began to have computer issues that made it difficult to access pics and get them printed. So I guess I did 1/2 way okay. I finished up KC and Rob's books while I was on vacation and managed to get pics printed out for Lissa's which I can wrap up this wkend. I guess I will just resolve to improve on last years effort where that is concerned.

My other area to continue to improve on is finances and the paper monster that tries to take over the house. I have been much better with the latter since relocating our shredder to a more convenient yet still childsafe location. The finances will take a bit more time but we have made some positive steps. My spouse is now working on Saturdays when I can have the kids and that will help a goodly bit.

Lee

Every year I set goals....every year I don't accomplish those goals.....I sit back and think "Oh well....never mind...I have accomplished a lot more in different areas, so I'll try again".

I really do need to lose weight though.

I have not made resolutions for many years. I do set a few goals. I try to make them realistic and attainable. This year my goals are to maintain my weight loss and to earn my 2nd degree black belt in TKD. The first goal is most important to me, the second will only happen if my knee holds in there!
    Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.
    Ellen Goodman - American journalist

Oh I love making resolutions - I get into this whole planning zen mindset where I block out the rest of the world for half and day and project plan down each of my resolutions - on a graph, colour coded with small time based goals etc ..... its the one time I can truely let my weird little brain off its leash for a few hours of fun

I usually manage to keep some of the goals and the rest I just laugh off at the end of the year - for me its more about the fun I have getting them typed up and looking sooo pretty than much else ....

Oh I'm a little strange, but it gets me through the silly seaon sane!
    I am evil ~~ I acknowledge and embrace that fact!!

lol, I loved your blog post, Zip.
    I've found myself saying this to myself over and over again - "better, not perfect". Recently I've had to practically chant this while vacuuming or mopping or cleaning the shower because otherwise I will wear myself out at the expense of other chores. I've been very hard on myself in the past if things weren't perfect, and then I would just stop trying. So this year I want to look at resolutions with this same phrase in mind. My first impulse is to say "Oh, this year I'm going to transform myself with a total fashion makeover, lose weight, buy a new wardrobe etc." but I think I will say instead that I will try to get my hair cut, buy a new blouse or two, and take time to put on a bracelet or ring when I go out on errands.
    Save

I like the idea of looking back on the year with appreciation on how the time was spent.

I don't keep any resolutions I make. If I've kept them in the past, it's purely by accident. Like Fiona, I enjoy the dreaming, planning, list-making aspect of it all. This year, I've resolved to approach my goals with a mindset similar to CF's.

If I'm resisting something like:

cleaning the house
    cooking healthy meals
    exercising
    listening to the kids

I won't:

overhaul all my lists and start 20 different home projects
    create menus that include quinoa and sprouts
    calendar out time to spend listening to my kids

but I will:

clean or organize a small space each day
    have lots of veggies and fruits on hand for everyone to snack on