+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Winter Weather Preparations

Yeah, I'm getting to it.. Zippity's Avatar

Default Winter Weather Preparations

My first preparedness project is going to be the winter weather prep.

Areas in which I need to prep:

1. Cars, for happenings on the road in less than pleasant weather. I also need to make a reminder sticky for the cars to check the tanks and fill them at half.

2. Closets - growing boys, DH and I all need to have appropriate winter gear. Around here, this is easier to ignore than you might think, and then if weather turns really bad you are out of luck - you won't be able to find it if you wait until you need it. It just isn't that well stocked around here.

3. Pantry/Refrigerator Freezer - "snowed in" options, where everything here works, but we can't get out (very common. Snow here usually means ice, and your safest bet is just staying home until it melts. We have some ugly hills.) The "power's out" options - heat and eat or low fuss pantry options. I can usually still use my stovetop, as long as I light it by hand. Also, stock an extra propane tank for the grill outdoors. Considering a generator that we can hook up to the freezer.

4. Meds. Prescription meds need to be filled a week out, minimum.

5. The "power's out" options: flashlights/lanterns/taplights and appropriate batteries on hand and accessible. Sleeping bags clean and accessible. Warm weather clothing stocked and on hand. Thermal underwear. Extra gloves that I hide from the men until they're absolutely needed. Candles accessible/stocked.

6. "Bunking in" options: TP, kleenex and common OTC meds stocked. Basic first aid stuff stocked.

I'm sure I'll think up more...but that's a start. How do you all prepare for nasty winter weather?
    "I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do."

- Leonardo Da Vinci

"I am seeking, I am striving, I am in it with all my heart."

- Vincent Van Gogh

What do you keep in your car during winter months? This list I have compiled is not necessarily exhaustive, but it has some things to consider. Depending on where you live and where you habitually drive, you may need to make different considerations.

Chains
    Ice scraper/snowbrush
    jumper cables
    road flares/flashing lights and/or emergency reflecting triangle
    flat tire fixer
    tow rope
    folding shovel
    kitty litter
    tie down straps

flashlight and spare batteries
    blanket
    snacks
    high calorie food
    water
    gloves
    boots
    first aid kit
    sharp knife/box knife
    duct tape
    hand warmers
    black trash bags
    moist towelettes
    lip balm
    rain ponchos
    metal whistle on lanyard
    light sticks
    "I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do."

- Leonardo Da Vinci

- Vincent Van Gogh

What this list doesn't have, and I may need for today's trip, is oars. I still need to add some other items to the travel kit as well, some of which I need to shop for.

Chains
    Ice scraper/snowbrush - have this, will probably leave it here. It's far too warm for snow where we're travelling.
    jumper cables
    road flares/flashing lights and/or emergency reflecting triangle
    flat tire fixer
    tow rope
    folding shovel
    kitty litter
    tie down straps

flashlight and spare batteries
    blanket
    snacks
    high calorie food
    water
    gloves
    boots
    first aid kit
    sharp knife/box knife
    duct tape
    hand warmers
    black trash bags
    moist towelettes
    lip balm
    rain ponchos
    metal whistle on lanyard
    light sticks

- Leonardo Da Vinci

- Vincent Van Gogh

Thanks for posting this, Zip!

Oddly enough, snow is less of a big deal up here because the towns are well equipped for it -- our roads tend to get cleared quite quickly and we don't usually lose power unless it is an early fall or late spring snow when the trees have leaves and branches break. It takes more than 2-3 feet overnight to close the schools/university, so it rarely happens. People have a pretty gung-ho hardy mountain attitude in Boulder, even if the commute slows to a crawl.

We have snow tires (Blizzaks on my Corolla, Yokohamas on DH's Subaru) on both cars from Oct - May. It helps to have the little AWD Subie, and we got her primarily for those snowy months, even though she eats through gas because of the AWD. I keep water, a first aid kit, and space blankets in my car, in addition to a small snow shovel when the roads are bad, for digging out. I should look at your list and add a few things. I always have lots of snacks, but that's because I eat on the run.

As I was driving today, I saw a number of cars that had skidded off a hill near my house. I think I should invest in some good LED flashers -- one of the cops had lit an actual flare and it was very visible even in the middle of the snow storm.
    Last edited by mommymath; 12-01-2011 at 07:44 PM.
    "Love cannot be killed or swept aside ... Now fill the world with music , love , and PRIDE. " - Lin-Manuel Miranda

Salam. Shalom. Aloha. Paz. Aman. Heiwa. Sula. Friede. Amniat. Peace.

We don't get a lot of snow, which means we're proportionally prepared for it. (Which is to say, not.) Ice is usually our biggest issue here. I'm considering the snow tire option for DH's AWD - it is already by far the best snow/ice option we have, and the proper tires would probably mean we could get out.

We rarely end up out of power more than a day here, for some reason, but the last major winter storm we had, most of the city was out for a week. Most gas stations were closed, Sears was operating by flashlight (really.) Those are usually the fall-winter windstorms, and the snow and ice stuff is rarely that bad.

I bought some handwarmers, and I need to find some of those road flashers - I don't have much in the way of lights in my kit yet.

- Leonardo Da Vinci

- Vincent Van Gogh

I got a couple of LED flashers/flare sticks -- one was in the clearance box at Radio Shack for less than $5, and I have seen a version near the checkouts at Target for around the same price. We tried it out when we went to a light festival and it seemed quite visible. So much so that DS was using it as a light saber with glee. I saw lots of disposable hand warmers in the dollar spot at Target -- not sure if they were also marked down to clearance or not.

We have lots of ice right now, especially on our driveway, which faces north. Ew. It is a risk of life and limb to get the mail. We do have "Safe Paw" ice melter for the front walk, but of course it isn't as effective as the nasty toxic chemical stuff -- it does help a little, and I don't have to worry about kid and dog getting it on their paws.
    "Love cannot be killed or swept aside ... Now fill the world with music , love , and PRIDE. " - Lin-Manuel Miranda

Salam. Shalom. Aloha. Paz. Aman. Heiwa. Sula. Friede. Amniat. Peace.

+ Reply to Thread