+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone Brew their own?

Default Anyone Brew their own?

I wondered if anyone makes their own liquor, wine or beer?

I'm in love with Lemoncello - quite passionatly in love with the stuff - not that stoked at the high price of the really good stuff and figured why not take a crack at making my own - I found several recipes online and whilst they take a while (up to 80 days) I figure if this is my new year project, I should have some yummy stuff by summer next year ....

The whole brewing process does fascinate me as well - my dad used to make a (apparently) delish home brew when I was growing up, I know Daniel's dad has done as well in the past .... most of my male cousins also at one time or another (its a bit of an Aussie male right of passage I think ) and more seriously, my BF's hubby is a Brewer (university qualified, helps run the Australian Beer Awards kind of Brewer) .... I guess brewing is just another form of cooking .....

So anyone else brew their own anything?
    I am evil ~~ I acknowledge and embrace that fact!!

Everything good is worth waiting for Kimberley's Avatar

Default Re: Anyone Brew their own?

I've done limoncello before. We enjoyed it in Italy and decided to try making it because it was way too expensive in the States. It was a fun project and definitely worth the wait. DH loves it in tea.
    Enough is as good as a feast.
    ~ Mary Poppins

I've known a few people who brewed their own wine, but I don't do it myself. I don't have any advice, but good luck to you!
    Many people look forward to the new year for a new start on old habits. ~Author Unknown

This is something I've always been interested in. Would love to try Watermellon wine, but then I don't have the patience or the time to try brewing my own. Good luck.

Hey Kim - do you still have the recipe you used? I'd prefer to use one that I know works out .....

I don't think I would ever try beer (hate the stuff) and wine ???? well I leave in a winemaking region so I'd rather leave it to the experts but fruit liquors etc are interesting so I'm going to give the limoncello a go - maybe even try a limecello at the same time ... mmmm limes .... mmmmmmm :luv:

Yeah, I'm getting to it.. Zippity's Avatar

I'd love to give Limoncello a go--love the stuff--and I bet DH would really like a limecello....

I've done Kahlua, and DH used to brew quite a bit--he's done mead and several different kinds of beer. We still have all the equipment in the garage but it doesn't get used much.
    "I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do."

- Leonardo Da Vinci

"I am seeking, I am striving, I am in it with all my heart."

- Vincent Van Gogh

I'll see if I can find it Fee!
    ~ Mary Poppins

I can't find the recipe we used, but most of the ones on the internet seem to be similar. Some things I remember:

~ A higher alcohol content helps with the infusion process. We used Everclear Grain Alcohol (190 proof or 95% alcohol by volume. It's a neutral spirit ~ absolutely no flavor. I would use the highest alcohol content by volume that is a neutral spirit available.

~ When you remove the zest from the lemons, make strips. Don't zest like you would for cooking. It will make it easier to remove when it's time to strain.

~ Gently swirl the alcohol/lemon zest mixture every day for three weeks. At this point the zest should have lost it's color and you can strain, then add the simple syrup mixture.

~ I used a damp cheesecloth draped over a strainer to remove the zest from the alcohol. But I had really tiny zest like you use in cooking which is why I made the note above about zest. My fine mesh strainer wasn't even fine enough to catch the little buggers.

~ After adding the simple syrup I let the mixture sit about 2 more weeks to let everything blend, then transferred to smaller bottles and stored in the freezer.

~ Mary Poppins

mmm mmm mmm mm mmm thanks for the hints Kim ......

i've wanted to try making anisette. from what i can figure i can just steep anise seeds in some sugared vodka to make something pretty similar. yum.

i made a citrus wine once by leaving some sugar syrup i made on the counter in a container for a couple weeks. by accident. lol. it was good actually. the taste i had. maybe i should try it with watermellons.....

+ Reply to Thread