+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Summer 2011 Extreme Declutter Challenge

Yeah, I'm getting to it.. Zippity's Avatar

Default Summer 2011 Extreme Declutter Challenge

Whoo HOO!

Time for a big summer declutter challenge!

Post your motivation and projects here and let's get them done together!

"I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do."

- Leonardo Da Vinci

"I am seeking, I am striving, I am in it with all my heart."

- Vincent Van Gogh

My motivation: We want to put in new carpeting.
    My challenge: Upstairs is all carpeted, but is so full of stuff that even the idea of moving it all makes me want to cry.

Time for a major declutter. Here's the plan:

Craft Room: Keeping my fiber-arts related items. Everything NOT related to my fiber arts must go.

Bonus Room: We're pulling down a false wall/entertainment unit that's built in and rearranging the room completely. Keeping: core exercise equipment, photos/albums, some books, dvd's and games. Relocating or purging about 50% of the DVD's, games, and books, as well as the bookcases they're housed in.

Master Suite: I've worked on this off and on the last few months, so it's not as bad as it could be. The dust tree (ficus) is leaving, knick knacks are being pared back, and some of the art on the wall is going and being traded out for a painting I have had for a couple years that isn't framed. Goal is to eliminate about 25% of what's in the room.

Kid rooms: Pretty basic declutter and tidy up in both rooms.

Upstairs Hall: The parking lot for everything where nothing belongs. Fix it so that the nothing that belongs there is what actually IS there.

Den: Been working on this, but it's still awful. Paper, paper, paper, paper, paper. The infrastructure is there now to make this room work, but I need to purge, shred, file and finish.

Family Room: purging outgrown homeschool books, activities, toys and games, most magazines.
    "I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do."

- Leonardo Da Vinci

- Vincent Van Gogh

You go girl!!! Take some before pix, even if you don't share them with anyone - I know that's a great motivator for me!

Thanks, rsk! I should definitely take some before pics.

Stuff has started leaving the craft room. I sold all of my rubber stamping and scrapbooking materials for $200 (bartered them with my house cleaner - she got a screaming deal) and she took all of them as well as another box of miscellany that I culled out of my sewing stuff. I also arranged for her to take my knitting machines back (she got them from another client for me in the first place) and she's going to find someone else that can use them. She'll pick those up next week and take them.

In the end I should be down to just handknitting/crochet and spinning, and sewing/quilting items. I'm culling my beads and jewelry stuff significantly, but I am keeping some of that, and a few misc crafting items that are very useful.

I'm going to bring some storage bins in from the garage and pack up the yarn I'm keeping - then once we recarpet I will put in a new closet organizer in the craft room.

- Leonardo Da Vinci

- Vincent Van Gogh

Did a huge (HUGE) book declutter in the bonus room. Got some DVD's and games off the shelves as well.

I still have to sell them back, but they're in bins ready to go in.

Then I bagged up a bunch of clothes for charity that have been languishing in the craft room. Took about 5 bags of stuff out of there. After dinner I'm going up to start sorting and boxing up yarn.

- Leonardo Da Vinci

- Vincent Van Gogh

Zip, keep it up! You are going to be so happy with the results!

Thanks, rsk!

I've made huge headway in the craft room. Unfortunately, much of it has taken up residence in the upstairs hall, so that needs to be dealt with. I don't know for sure what I want to do with some of it yet...there's a lot of empty storage stuff that might be useful in other parts of the house. Or, maybe I can just get rid of it, I don't know yet.

- Leonardo Da Vinci

- Vincent Van Gogh

I am in for this, however, I have a question...
    Does it run thru until 2012 or was that a mis-type?

I am starting with my office.

I got all carbed food out today, sorted thru my pile
    of misc. paper last week (don't remember the day).

I renewed Ancestry this week, so I REALLY need to go thru
    my two drawers full of "paper" for files, as well as sort,
    cull, and organize those files. I also want to upload scanned
    copies of pictures, documents, etc.

Also, multiple piles of books and misc
    on the two chairside tables... again LOL

The desktop is LOADED with "stuff" that needs to be
    dealt with ... frankly .. it's a mess LOL
    EmilyD

Word for 2018: Consistency

Ha! I fixed it. It should say 2011, but I typed it after I did a bunch of stuff for the upcoming school year so I'd been typing 2012 a lot.

Says how looney I've been that I didn't even notice once I'd done it!

We pulled a bunch of the stuff down to the car last night so that's ready to go in to goodwill this morning.

- Leonardo Da Vinci

- Vincent Van Gogh

NP Zippity, just trying to establish the timeline LOL
    you all know how long it takes me to accomplish
    anything

Yesterday, I got the "laptop" table cleared.
    If I hurry, I might get to use it for the laptop!

Also cleared the main "desk" area of the desk
    yesterday. Have been fighting the desktop for
    weeks now, so after transferring my genealogy
    file and all the pictures, I reformatted it last night.
    Probably a virus I don't understand why people
    have to do that "sigh"

Cleared and dusted the small bookcase, shelves on the
    large bookcase (nothing sorted or culled yet).

It looks and feels better, anyway.
    Last edited by EmilyD; 07-19-2011 at 06:57 PM.
    EmilyD

My motivation: get the grandchildren's room's back in order by the end of July.
    Have completely organized girl child's dresser & chest drawers, her shoes are all in pairs
    Started on boy child's drawers, but they are more out of control (bb's everywhere for one)
    Currently my goal is to have those room's done no later than July 23rd, includes closets

How's it going Em and Thena?

I am making enormous progress upstairs.

1. Both kids' rooms are done, with the exception of the LEGO...which I don't really have a great handle on.

2. The craft room is at about 95% finished. I purged all the rubber stamping and scrapbooking supplies and got them out of the house. I kept some useful (and frequently used) general craft supplies, along with my sewing and knitting/crochet stuff. That's it. The old bookcase came out of there, and I moved DS12's old bookshelf in, because it matches the other furniture better. I have new organizers (they are fishing tackle binders, and they are brilliant) for all my knitting needles. All that's left in this room is to finish the top of the cutting table and the top of the dresser. I would like to go to IKEA and get a different sewing table, and once the carpet's in I will put in a closet organizer and possibly a pegboard.

3. Bonus room is well in progress. I got rid of two bookcases, purged my books (in my car, currently, awaiting a trip to half-price books) and threw out a cedar chest that was broken beyond any reasonable hope of repair. We packed the bookcases on one end of the room with the remaining books, moved the second set of bookcases in front of those and loaded them up with more "keep" items. This frees up as much space as possible to work on the wall on the far end of the room, which we want to take out, and eventually to move furniture in from other rooms.

4. Hall. Tends to be a pass through for stuff that's leaving, but right now there is nothing there that should not be. Woot!

What's left upstairs: master suite, linen closet. Pull out the floating wall.

Downstairs, we purged a lot of stuff out of the den, added a headboard and lost some storage under that bed. It's hugely better than it was, but I still have some boxes and paper to deal with. I got rid of a box of books from the family room, but have to do the entertainment center still. LR and DR are in pretty good shape, but I'll go through there as well.

- Leonardo Da Vinci

- Vincent Van Gogh

Woot to Zip! You go girl!

I went on my retreat at the end of July and brought home abunch of books LOL

2 bags of books to the 1/2 price book store, 1/2 bag back home,
    will try again in a month

Lap top table got piled again, need to work on keeping that clear

I have 2 weeks left before school starts again, I need to work on this office.

Got rid of the divider screen and the stationary bike this weekend.
    EmilyD

My goal through the end of August is to declutter some projects that have been hanging around far too long. I was thinking about this during vacation last week and figured out that moving ahead in life means I need to finish these off - they are a combination of work, home and volunteer commitments:

~S pp and pr
    ~dept annual report
    ~donation letters for fire station - two years? one?
    ~follow up on fire dept. assignments - make a master list first
    ~menu planning ideas updated
    ~prep kids for school - supplies, clothes, etc

Wish me luck!!!!
    Last edited by rskmom; 08-08-2011 at 09:37 AM.

One thing off the list at least!

done:
    dept annual report

and this is in progress:
    prep kids for school - supplies, clothes, etc

to do in August:
    ~donation letters for fire station - two years? one?
    ~follow up on fire dept. assignments - make a master list first
    ~menu planning ideas updated
    ~finish prepping kids for school - supplies, clothes, etc

+ Reply to Thread