+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Small crock pots?

Default Small crock pots?

There's a huge stoneware crock pot in the pantry but I never use it because I can't lift it and if I could I wouldn't want to carry it around cleaning it after cooking anything in it.

But I got to wondering if they make small crock pots, and would this be worthwhile, or not worth the hassle, since I think the main appeal of a crock pot is making a big vat of something at one time? I don't know. I need ideas for dinners. Also, since I'm a vegetarian and DF is not, it would be nice to be able to have something on standby for either him or me, since I don't have the energy to cook two versions of the same thing at once, and usually either serve vegetarian meals, or rely on 'add lunchmeat' for his.
    Save

I have seen smaller crockpots so I know they make them. There are five of us so I only use the big one. However, I have seen the smaller ones used for sauces and keeping them warm, so why couldn't they be used for a smaller portion that would be just right for two folks?

I have a bunch of recipes for the big one, but I think you could just half them or whatever for your situation.

I am not much help on the vegetarian thing so my house includes a big guy and three medium guys who are all meatatarians.

Thanks for the reply, Rsk! I found a very small one this morning and have just started a black bean soup in it. It only has one speed: plugged-in but I figure I can try it out and see if I like it, and if I do I can try to find a slightly bigger one. I'm going to see if I can figure out how to attach a picture of it... it's cute!

(I left the cans in the photo for size comparison... also, that red and white gadget that opens pop-top cans is super handy, I always meant to make a post about what an awesome device it is. Archimedes would have liked it, I think. )

004.jpg

I need to throw some onion in there!
    Last edited by Centaur Filly; 05-10-2011 at 09:10 PM. Reason: correcting some info
    Save

I have a small one.
    I bought it to make oatmeal in but haven't gotten it done yet.
    EmilyD

Word for 2018: Consistency

Ooh, oatmeal is a good idea, EmilyD! Will try that...

The bean soup turned out fantastic!
    Save

Oooh, have fun with it!

This IS fun! I made a beef stew today for DF and it turned out great! I used the old larger one we had so I could use the 'high' setting.

Tomorrow I'm going to try some sort of dessert or dip in the small one. This is so exciting!
    Save

+ Reply to Thread