+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gardening in 2010

Yeah, I'm getting to it.. Zippity's Avatar

Default Gardening in 2010

Howdy gardeners!

I'm delighted that 10 years after moving into this house and intending to plant a garden, that I finally have the space designated, cleared, and ready to go.

I have no doubt that this will be a learning experience from the very beginning, so I'm creating this thread where we can talk about the what, where, when, why and how of what we're planting this year.

Hope to hear all about your gardens!
    "I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do."

- Leonardo Da Vinci

"I am seeking, I am striving, I am in it with all my heart."

- Vincent Van Gogh

Step One: Time to get things moving!

Average/Safe dates for me are between April 25 and May 14, so it's time I got moving. If I'd intended to plant a lot from seed I would have to have been moving long ago. Lucky for me, our local farmer's market usually sells some excellent plants that can go right out in the garden in just a few more weeks, so I need to make a place to put them.

1. Consult with my brother about his raised beds last year. He just did this in my parents' yard, so he will be the best resource I have for what I will need to get these built properly and how I can appropriate the sprinkler in that section to make irrigation.

2. The space I've got will hold two 4 x 6 beds, or I can make it work with 3- 4 x 4 beds. I need to make a decision about the design and the materials I want to use.
    3. Construction! Put together the beds and the irrigation.

4. Create a plan for planting. We are keeping the crops simple this year. Tomatoes, peppers, onions, beans or snap peas, herbs and lettuces. Some of these can't go in for a few weeks, but others can go in pretty much as soon as I get the raised beds up.

5. Order soil/compost and fill my beds up.

6. Figure out a plan for keeping the dogs out of the beds. Yikes.

That's a start...
    "I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do."

- Leonardo Da Vinci

- Vincent Van Gogh

Our gardening area is tiny, and will be mostly in pots. That said, I've started some herbs from seed - chives, basil - and have mint and cilantro already growing in pots. I planted some cucumbers, which just poked their heads above the ground today.

This weekend, we'll get a couple of tomato and pepper plants. I have areas set aside for those, and I want the tomatoes in the ground. Not sure about the peppers.

We planted our tomatoes and peppers yesterday. Everybody seems to have survived the experience.

I'm going to try a little lettuce, too, but have to decide where to plant. I have a nice area by the back door, but I'm afraid it will fall victim to kitties.

That's nice that you're able to plant so early! We'll have to wait a bit, and I don't have any kind of cold frame yet. I'll get some of the plants at the farmer's market in a few weeks, and those usually have quite a bit of growth under their belts.

I chatted with my parents and brother this week about what I'd need to make the beds and get things in place. Now I need to do a little blueprint and make a list of what needs to get picked up, materials-wise, and do calculations for soil.

- Leonardo Da Vinci

- Vincent Van Gogh

+ Reply to Thread