+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hair Coloring/Bleaching

Default Hair Coloring/Bleaching

So I have a wild hair (ha) to go in the beauty salon tomorrow and come out looking like a new person. I've never had my hair colored or bleached. I told a hairdresser once I wanted it colored red and she talked me out of it. Now I'm thinking I might like to go blonde. (My current haircolor is sort of a dark brown with a faint leaning to auburn outside in the sun, it was pale blonde when I was a kid so I don't know how that happened, lol, but ANYWAY...)

My question is... does it smell horrible? Or have there been Modern Advancements made? I don't want to have it bleached only to have the fumes be so bad in the days and weeks to follow that I have to get a mohawk to get rid of the smell.
    Save

I bleached my dark brown hair for years (I was a blonde kid too) and it stinks terribly. I now have a lot of white hair and just put light brown on it.

One thing is that I have a lot of red hai and it's likely to show up even after bleach and unless someone is really good at coloring, it can look pink.

Think about the bleaching long & hard before you do it. It does damage the hair and requires a lot of extra conditioning treatments. I did the "at home" hot oil treatments.

I hope you love it, whatever you decide.

Forgot to say I always wash mine the next day to get rid of the odor.

Thanks, Thena! That's what I was worried about, the chemical odor being intolerable. Does the smell go away entirely after you wash it or do you have to just live with it for a long time?
    Save

The smell will be completely gone once it's washed. The odor isn't as bad at it was when I first started bleaching mine. It shouldn't be overwhelming after it is rinsed out anyway, but it's still there.

My twins (11 yo) got their hair highlighted last Friday. That's bleach. It didn't smell horribly, and we washed it the same night.

Yeah, I'm getting to it.. Zippity's Avatar

I've been coloring and highlighting my hair for years. It does smell, but not anywhere near as bad as the perms of my childhood.

The smell goes away quickly, and it's tolerable. Certainly more tolerable for me than the salt and pepper premature gray.

I color my hair fairly close to the natural color, which makes maintaining it much easier. Dark brown hair, lighter brown highlights. The farther away you go from what's there normally, the more you have to maintain it.

Even so, the color they use is a lot richer and warmer than what's normally there, and they put some glossy stuff on my hair that makes it feel soft and shiny and even tames down the wacky gray hair.
    "I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do."

- Leonardo Da Vinci

"I am seeking, I am striving, I am in it with all my heart."

- Vincent Van Gogh

Perms, ew! Those have got to be the stinkiest things ever invented.

+ Reply to Thread