Closed Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Frugal Living Archives--2010

Good Morning Princess! lizzie lou's Avatar

Thank you, MM! It's helpful to see how you plan ahead for expenses.

I haven't spent any money today. It was a hide under the covers day. I did tell DH about an unexpected expense. $1,170.00 for workshops at the Spring Academy that I thought DH and I were going to take for free. We are kind of stuck, as I have enrolled my parents in it and they have already paid and bought their plane tickets and arranged to visit friends in FL.

So we need to negotiate with the team... I'm hoping to get at least Tom's fee comped. I'm very anxious about this. I had a fantasy about paying it "in secret" in order to avoid conflict. But I am trying to change this pattern.

We have a team meeting scheduled this Thursday, so perhaps DH and I will bring it up for the agenda.
    ...Friendship is Magic...

Yeah, I'm getting to it.. Zippity's Avatar

Good job on staying accountable, LL! I know how difficult that is.

I didn't buy much on vacation--any time I had the opportunity to spend more than a few dollars on something, I either consulted DH or really just had the feeling that there was something I'd rather spend the money on, or something I needed to spend the money on. I was right, there are a lot of pending expenses around here, so it's best I didn't blow too much over there.

I rented a macro lens for the trip that I ended up loving, so that's on my wishlist now. Probably, it will have to wait for a birthday or christmas or something. I'm with you on the "extra money" thing, Lizzie--I keep thinking that I didn't spend much on vacation, so there's "extra" I could use for the lens. There isn't--but it feels like there should be. I also rented a great telephoto lens, but I know that wouldn't get the workout it deserves in my everyday world. It was fun, though.

I need to do something about my laptop before it blows up...it has a short in it somewhere.

The server went down right before we left, and DH needs to get that replaced and up/running. Luckily, it's under warranty. We need to fix that fast, so that I have my laptop backed up properly.

The roof needs to be cleaned and repaired. Big expense, but it will hold us another 5 years so that I can save up for a new one.

The treadmill needs to be cleaned and repaired. This is one of those jobs where I could save a lot if I could figure out the repairs myself, but that's just a reason to procrastinate getting it done, and it's a safety hazard with the belt slipping all the time.

I'm toying with dropping our gym membership, and am torn between the "we're not using it enough" and the "we NEED to be using it enough." With DS13 back in school, I should be making time for this.
    Last edited by Zippity; 03-08-2010 at 09:42 AM.
    "I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do."

- Leonardo Da Vinci

"I am seeking, I am striving, I am in it with all my heart."

- Vincent Van Gogh

I just decluttered and re-organized my snack drawer here at the paid gig. I try to keep it stocked with healthy snack choices to avoid any vending machine temptation, and it was just a big bunch of stuff. Looks nice now, and I can see what I have to choose from!

Well, we're at the 19th of the month. How is everyone doing?

Summer camp listings are out ... forgot to factor that into the budget!!
    splurged on some flowers for our dniece -- she won a very big scholarship to the local univ. so DH and I decided to get her something special right now since she just found out.
    reserved hotel rooms at good rate for family trip

-- upcoming at end of month - need to pay for flights for May travel (already factored into budget)
    -- dh is going for dental work ... I don't even want to think of what the estimate will be
    -- need to pay a professional society fee for dh -- must remember to put that with tax stuff for the deduction
    -- reserve car rental for May
    -- benefits open enrollment coming up (need to mark dates on calendar)
    Last edited by mommymath; 03-19-2010 at 06:08 PM.
    "Love cannot be killed or swept aside ... Now fill the world with music , love , and PRIDE. " - Lin-Manuel Miranda

Salam. Shalom. Aloha. Paz. Aman. Heiwa. Sula. Friede. Amniat. Peace.

ds and I got a batch of clutter out of here to the kidstuff sale -- and from the first night's posting, it looks like we'll at least cover what we purchased there, LOL! (He got a couple of small toys; I got some stuff for the lab -- like a fiskars embosser and a paper roll holder, and some clothing for ds ... a good deal. DH says we just all swap our stuff around, which is basically the case.)
    "Love cannot be killed or swept aside ... Now fill the world with music , love , and PRIDE. " - Lin-Manuel Miranda

There's a huge list of pending expenses--yuck.

Must file taxes, which means getting to the bottom of the scary paper piles this week. Oh, the fun.
    "I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do."

- Leonardo Da Vinci

- Vincent Van Gogh

Go Zip Go!

You could live here in NY, where I filed my state return in early Feb and just got notice that it should be mailed to me in mid-April. Yeah, because we are in a budget crisis in this state. Thanks, Gov!

er, well, we went back to kidstuff 1/2 price sale ... I got a ton of really high quality homeschool stuff -- including some Susan Wise Bauer stuff I'd had on my wish list for $2 each. Also got huge bag of tinkertoys for the new school; ds got a neat pottery wheel for $3. We'll just break even, I think. But those homeschool books were a great find.
    spent a bit for lab supplies, too -- Big Lots had huge 6V batteries (we use these for circuit testing) at 70% off; and a batch of tilt bins for 70% off.

It's past time for a budget review in this house. We've added a significant expense with behavior therapy and we haven't done well compensating for that on other things.

Time to start evaluating and trimming.

- Leonardo Da Vinci

- Vincent Van Gogh

Default Frugal Living in April 2010

Come continue your frugal efforts in April!

- Leonardo Da Vinci

- Vincent Van Gogh

Two goals this month:

1. Taxes and papers organized and filed.
    2. Track all non-bill spending.

We're low on a lot of things around the house, and I need to make a huge grocery-errand run. That's usually an opportunity for all kinds of spending, because stuff just gets thrown in the cart with everything else. Big trips like this often end up with me overbuying food. I am making more of an effort to plan the grocery trips with some care.

My hair has gotten too expensive, but I desperately don't want to go back to the days of the bad haircut. (Believe me, I've had some humdingers.) I'm working out a plan that leaves me with a good haircut and more money in my pocket.

- Leonardo Da Vinci

- Vincent Van Gogh

Ouch. Costco was expensive. I should specify that this was mainly because I have not been to Costco in well more than 6 weeks, and we were out of a whole lot of stuff.

I bought stamps for PTSA, for which I now need to be reimbursed, so I'll get 40-odd dollars back on that. I could have had 50-odd dollars back in my pocket if I had remembered to take back the printer ink that I need to return. Doh.

As far as the list, buying stuff off list and having kids with me: not too bad. The kids got popcorn and pretzels, and I found a few things that I needed but hadn't made the list yet (or were on a list for somewhere else.)

- Leonardo Da Vinci

- Vincent Van Gogh

Goal this week: Get money back.

--return ink cartridges to Costco
    --return ceiling fan to Lowe's (we managed to repair the old one for about half the price, yay!)
    --submit reimbursement for PTSA stamps.

- Leonardo Da Vinci

- Vincent Van Gogh

We're two trips behind in getting work reimbursements, so I'll have to pull the money from the EF and pay the corporate card ... I've been a little slow with getting the receipts out.
    found some educational software at Best Buy for $5/each on clearance -- they are around $25 at Target. Yeah! And we had rewards dollars.

[] waiting on estimate for dh's dental
    [] 5 more vision sessions and we're done! yeeeehaw!
    [] need to budget for a summer camp week or two - don't have my act together on that yet

Got the stamp reimbursement done yesterday; today I need to return the fan to Lowe's while I'm over in that part of town.

There's some food in the fridge that needs to be cooked up and frozen before it goes to waste, so I will probably end up doing that at some point today or tomorrow...

- Leonardo Da Vinci

- Vincent Van Gogh

Got the fan taken back to Lowe's and returned the printer ink to Costco. Used the cash back to fund a small Costco run and took us all to the new Mandarin Chinese buffet. Yummo. Buffets are a mixed bag for us right now, but in another year or two might be a better deal. DS13 didn't eat enough to justify his "adult" price, but DS11 ate enough for an adult and he's still "kid" priced.

Bought a big bag of bread flour at Costco. I've decided that the bread machine needs to earn its keep, and it may help me with filling up boys who are currently snarfing the junkiest things they can find to eat. My solution is that "junk" just isn't going to be an option anymore. I can't even buy a bag of pretzels that lasts longer than a day.

Made a grocery run last night. Found movie-boxes of candy on sale, which I need to find a good place to stash. They'd make good "take your own" treats for the theater when we go. Just need a storage place where I remember we have them, and where no one decides to eat them for a snack.

- Leonardo Da Vinci

- Vincent Van Gogh

Tinkering with using coupons. I've never been very good at making them work for me effectively, but it seems to me like I'm throwing the baby out with the bath water by using them so seldom. If I paid attention, there are probably a number of things we do that regularly have coupons available for them.

I put together my sales tax spreadsheet yesterday. (Oh the fun.) Now, while I *should* have entered these receipts throughout the year to spare myself the joy of going through 12 months worth of receipts in one horrific sitting, it was illuminating. When you've saved most of your receipts through the year, it's pretty easy to get a sense of where money went. Fascinating stuff, and definitely a couple of bad habits unearthed that I can work on.

- Leonardo Da Vinci

- Vincent Van Gogh

We're finally running out of paper, so I bought a case at Office Depot yesterday. That would have been a good place to have a coupon...

It took us about a year and a half, or a bit more, to go through the last case of paper. Probably will take longer this time, as I'm not printing so much school stuff for DS13.

Office Depot is one of those big "danger" stores for me. I love pens and paper and post-its and all sorts of goodies that they have in there. I left with two spiral notebooks I really didn't need, but otherwise it was all stuff I went in there for.

So, not perfect. But I did stay out of the pen aisle, and I stayed on purpose for the most part.

- Leonardo Da Vinci

- Vincent Van Gogh

Good record keeping is another frugal habit I could stand to get into. I do keep my receipts because we can deduct sales tax, but they aren't well organized or entered in a timely fashion. I could deduct mileage for the various charities I do work for--and I do a decent amount of driving for a couple of them, but I haven't tracked it.

Occurs to me that I have money going unclaimed because I don't have proper records, so I'm going to work on getting a couple of systems into place that might help that situation...

We'll get a decent tax refund--enough that I'd adjust withholding, but the revocation of the tax cuts will probably account for most all of it next year.

I've made a lot of progress organizing paper this week, I desperately need to keep that progress going.

- Leonardo Da Vinci

- Vincent Van Gogh

Zippity,

Just a suggestion:

If the places you drive to are the same every time,
    just do the milage one way and then double it and
    then keep track of how often you go.

That is how I keep track of my school milage and
    it helps not to have to remember it every time
    EmilyD

Word for 2018: Consistency