+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Don't Throw Out Those Bones!

Default Don't Throw Out Those Bones!

This morning, after I had shaken off the worst of the turkey hangover, I decided to make turkey soup. So I sat down at the table with the turkey carcass and storage containers to remove the meat and the last of the stuffing from the bird. Made sure I had something interesting to listen to, also, as peeling cold meat from cold bones isn't my idea of entertainment!

Once finished, I put the meat and stuffing in the fridge, and turned to the remainders of the turkey. The whole thing wouldn't fit into my stockpot as it was, so I had to break it apart a bit. Covered with water, we began the simmering process. When it had gotten hot, and started to bubble, I turned the heat down, and added a whole cut-up onion and a few chopped carrots. The house was starting to smell good! After another hour of cooking, I turned off the heat to let it cool enough to take out the bones and let the fat rise to the top. After tasting to make sure the turkey broth is concentrated enough, it's ready for the next step.

Now all that's left is to skim the fat (or refrigerate and remove the cold congealed fat from the op) and strain out the little odd bits. It's ready for the freezer! Measured and poured into Ziplock bags, then frozen, I now have another couple of meals out of my turkey. In a week or two, when I think fondly of the taste of turkey, I'll take out my turkey stock, add veggies and I'll have soup. Actually, since Rich is so fond of them, I will probably make some noodles for the soup, or even dumplings.

I do this with roasted chickens, as well. It's not only freezer cooking, it's frugal cooking.

you can add another step to this too and put the carcass into the oven and roast the bones - this makes the stock darker and richer in taste .... never done it with turkey though (not that popular down here) but definitely with chickens and veal .....
    I am evil ~~ I acknowledge and embrace that fact!!

Mmmm, good idea. My stock is already frozen in ziplocs, but I'll try that with the next chicken I do.

I did this with half the carcass and made noodle soup with half the broth and froze the other half. I will debone the rest of the meat today and do another pot of broth. I LOVE the left overs from Thanksgiving. !

+ Reply to Thread