+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Toss or No?

Toss or No?

I'm working that 20% plan and I can't decide on this, can you gals help me?

I have about 4 years of Family Fun Magazine that I have saved. I honestly don't refer back to them too often and if I do, they do have it online and searchable. Should I donate them or keep holding on to them for just the craft ideas?

Thanks!

T

Yeah, I'm getting to it.. Zippity's Avatar

I've been there--there was a stack of Cooking Light magazines I was clinging to for the recipes. I pulled the few single recipes that I knew I used and liked --I put those in my recipe binder--and I tossed out the rest of the magazines (including all the potential "great ideas.")

I don't miss them. I thought I would, but I honestly do not.

If you can easily find the information on the internet and you aren't poring over those magazines every week for a scout project? Toss em.
    "I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do."

- Leonardo Da Vinci

"I am seeking, I am striving, I am in it with all my heart."

- Vincent Van Gogh

I am struggling with that when it comes to my knitting magazines. I have been fairly selective about which ones I buy, but then I can't seem to part with them even when I don't plan to make any of the patterns. At least not now...
    Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.
    Ellen Goodman - American journalist

What have I forgotten? kermitfan's Avatar

Toss 'em. You said yourself you can find the info on the web. We know you have some tech-smarts Plus, after you go through this keep-or-toss issue a few times and live to tell the tale, choosing "toss" becomes much easier! BTDT.

Gini, go ahead and keep those for a while if you need to. In a few years, you will see that some patterns seem "dated". That was my trigger to toss years worth of craft magazines. I've seen your house, and it isn't that cluttered!

(However, don't think I'm parting with my Taste of Home magazine collection.)

My thoughts, for what they're worth!
    K

I keep the knitting mags too, Gini--especially any Interweave Knits I buy. I've noticed on Ravelry that those are often not printed other place, and aren't available for free anywhere.
    "I have been impressed with the urgency of doing. Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Being willing is not enough; we must do."

- Leonardo Da Vinci

- Vincent Van Gogh

Quote Originally Posted by kermitfan View Post
    I've seen your house, and it isn't that cluttered!
    K
    Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.
    Ellen Goodman - American journalist

I got tired of dealing with all of The Taste of Home magazines, too. Now I just buy the yearly book with all the recipes in it.

Me too, xray. I do like those cookbooks, though!

- Leonardo Da Vinci

- Vincent Van Gogh

I decided to toss them. I sat down to take a break and started going through them with intentions to pull out JUST the cute craft ideas that I really thought I'd use. After I got through 4 w/o pulling any pages...well, that made the decision for me. I boxed them up and I'm going to see if any of the families at church want to take them.

Thank you!!!!!!!
    imtnt

You go girl!

My only subscription is to People Magazine. Nothing in there worth keeping and I have no problem with tossing them weekly.

I do have a small obsession with boxes. It's a weird thing, I know. I buy something and toss the box down the basement (AKA - H.E.- Double Hockey Sticks). Well, my hording behavior has resulted in a heap of boxes that threatened to take over my basement.

Our scout troop decided to have a garage sale to help raise money for a trip we are taking next year. This lit a match under my rear to go into the bowels of my house and dredge up some treasures. To really get anything moved around the boxes had to go.

I spent a total of 3 1/2 hours breaking down boxes!

Some of that 3 1/2 hours was spent on the phone with Zippity, Emerald Maiden and Kermitfan!

I now have floor and I don't think I want to give that up for the sake of empty boxes again.
    Many people look forward to the new year for a new start on old habits. ~Author Unknown

Good Morning Princess! lizzie lou's Avatar

I hoard boxes too. I recently did a big declutter. the remaining ones are nested, so they take a small footprint. however adding to the store is a hassle. maybe I just shouldn't add to the store. I'm keeping them cause I think I am going to sell stuff on Ebay. I don't know when I think I am going to find time to do this, however.
    ...Friendship is Magic...

Now that the mag's are gone, I'm working through the puzzles, games and books. I just hate to get rid of any, esp games and puzzles that I "think" we might use some day. BUT, we have TONS of both. So, I told the girls to go through the puzzles this AM. Anything with missing pieces goes in the trash. The others they had to go through and put half in a keep pile and half in the donate pile. I'm going to load that all up and take it to GW this AM so I don't have any last minute regrets and "keep" the bag laying around.

As for games, we just need to be more dedicated about having a game night and actually playing them.
    imtnt

I seem to hoard cookbooks! I downsized some a while back but wow, I was just looking and half of them I probably haven't ever cooked a single recipe from. Yikes, maybe I'll have to pull some of those out too?
    imtnt

+ Reply to Thread