Many of you may have seen the news reports of massive fires in the states of Victoria and NSW in Australia .... its been a shocking couple of days and to be honest I think most of the country is in a state of shock at the devastation these fires have wrought .....

The fear of trying to track down those you love who might have been caught up in this is horrible.... the images we see on the news are heartbreaking ... many tears have been shed and I'm sure many more will be in the near future....

On top of the human fatalities (of which number in the hundreds and will probably keep rising) - our animal friends have also suffered significantly. The fires were so quick and so strong that trees and bricks exploded - many animals didn't have a chance to get to safety.....

We know of several dog breeders who have lost their homes, kennels and in shockingly some cases - their dogs.... I won't put some of the stories I have heard in writing here as they are too terrible to repeat in many cases...but many have died and we won't know the real numbers for maybe weeks to come....

Many breeders who have lost their animals are in hospital themselves being treated for burns and shock, many raised their animals as members of their family .... this was also a rural area - many dogs worked as well as being exhibited or trialled ....

The dog sport community has rallied together to try to help out these members of our community....

One of the most inventive methods is the International Virtual Dog Show ..... it is being run by Dogs Victoria which is the Kennel Club of that state.....

Here is the link to the details - you can register your dog (living or deceased (rainbow bridge class), purebred or a bitza (mixed marriages class) in the "show" - all entry fees will go to those who are in need.

I know many of you have dogs as family pets so are probably not involved in the Dog Sport side of things but in case you were interested or might know someone who is interested I thought I would post this link ...

http://www.dogsvictoria.org.au/Conte...=277&SubID=369

Thanks for reading

Fiona